Special Guest: Lyn Millner
Lyn Millner is the author of The Allure of Immortality: An American Cult, A Florida Swamp, and a Renegade Prophet.
Lyn's radio stories and essays have been broadcast on National Public Radio’s Morning Edition and Weekend Edition and on American Public Media’s Marketplace. Her print work has appeared in the New York Times, USA Today, Oxford American, the Hollywood Reporter, and Boca Raton magazine. She teaches journalism at Florida Gulf Coast University.
ABOUT THIS EPISODE
The Koreshans believed that the earth was hollow, and that humans lived on the concave inside surface of it. They theorised that the moon and stars, and indeed the rest of the universe, was contained within. On the outside? A void. When they formed the utopian community in Estero, Florida that they called the Koreshan Unity Settlement, a common greeting of one member to another was, “We live inside.”
- The cellular cosmogony, or, The earth, a concave sphere, Part 1 — by Koresh and Ulysses G. Morrow, The Guiding Star Publishing House, 1898
- The Immortal Manhood: The Laws and Processes of Its Attainment in the Flesh — by Koresh, The Guiding Star Publishing House, 1902
- The Allure of Immortality: An American Cult, a Florida Swamp, and a Renegade Prophet — by Lyn Millner, University Press of Florida, 2015
- Author turns over every rock to reveal Estero’s Koreshans — by Dayna Harpster, Spotlight Estero News Magazine, 1 November 2015
- Cyrus Teed, Estero's Koreshans get their due in new book — by Amy Bennett Williams, News-Press, 19 October 2015
- The Teed House at Koreshan State Historic Site — Video uploaded by YouTube user Florida Trailblazer, 15 November 2013
- Koreshan State Historic Site History — page on the Friends of Koreshan State Park website
- Koreshan State Historic Site plans for future — by Maryann Batlle, Naples Daily News, 31 July 2016
- Chaste Liberation: Celibacy and Female Cultural Status — by Sally Kitch, University of Illinois Press, 1989
- Sr. Marco Pagano's YouTube Channel — Includes a variety of videos about the Earth as a concave sphere, with over 500K views to date.
- Concave Earth Sessions Podcast — 2015 5-part "Educational talk about the Concave Earth with modern thinkers using scientific evidence and data to support"
- Turning the Universe Inside-Out. Ulysses Grant Morrow's Naples Experiment. — by Donald E. Simanek, Lockhaven University, 2013
- The Flaming Sword — Vol. xii, No. 7., Published by Dr. Cyrus R. Teed (Koresh), The Founder of Koreshanity, 31 December 1897
- Hollow Earth: The Long and Curious History of Imagining Strange Lands, Fantastical Creatures, Advanced Civilizations, and Marvelous Machines Below the Earth's Surface — by David Standish, Hachette UK, 2007
- Fort Myers Beach — by Mary Kaye Stevens, Arcadia Publishing, 2012
- Lyn Millner's Facebook Page
- Florida Memory Exhibits — pages from an exhibition on The Koreshan Unity from the State Library & Archives of Florida
- Koreshan Unity collection photograph number KOR2270 — Koreshans eating lunch on Estero Island after cleaning up the tomb of Dr. Cyrus Reed Teed following a hurricane, 1921
- Florida Memory Photographic Collection — Koreshan Unity Collection, Number N2009-3, papers ca. 1887-1990
- Florida Gulf University's Digital Repository — Koreshan Historical Collection
- The Koreshan Virtual Archives — former holdings of the Koreshan State Historic Site
- Life inside the Earth: The Koreshan Unity and Its Urban Pioneers, 1880-1908 — Master of Arts Thesis by Katherine J. Adams, 2010
- Warm and fascinating: Florida’s Koreshan State Historic Site — by Johnny Molloy, Johnson City Press, 12 January 2017
- Between Science and Fiction: The Hollow Earth as Concept and Conceit— chapter 'Women's Inner Life' by Heide Volkening, volume edited by Hanjo Berressem, Michael Bucher & Uwe Schwagmeier, LIT Verlag Münster, 2012